CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Beach to Bay

Well, Jason and I survived our first ever relay marathon. We had a great time Saturday running with our friends Amber and Josh and their friends Chris and Sally who we also quickly became friends with too. Running is always a bonding experience. Especially when you think you might die. :0) Well, it wasn't really that bad but it was difficult. Jason ran the second leg and handed off to me. I made him work a little for his hand off. He didn't like that very much. Ha. His leg started in two feet of sand and continued through downtown Padre Island up to the bridge. He handed off to me under the JFK Causeway (the big bridge connecting the Island to CC) and I headed up and over the bridge. I was so excited to run the bridges. Of course I saw it as a challenge and that made me excited but it backfired on me and I got really anxious the week before and had a nightmare about not being able to stay upright on the bridge because it is so steep. The bridge wasn't bad but the distance was. I had only been running about 3.5 miles routinely and the distance was a little over 4. I think the worst part was not knowing where I was going to be able to stop.

We all finished strong and we had a great time. There were just under 12,000 runners and approx. 2000 teams. It was really amazing to be a part of this huge event. Everybody seemed to look out for each other and really come together as a community. Jason and Amber were able to hitch rides in the back of trucks from the end of their legs to the cars. Amber, I was a little concerned about. She didn't strike me as someone who would be fearless and hop in someones truck but, I guess you do what you have to do. I think even she got a little nervous though when she had to start passing beers up into the cab of the truck she was riding in. Ha. We all got a laugh out of that. She is so funny. We finished in 4 hours and 36 minutes which was about 50 minutes faster than the teams time from last year. Woohoo!!!

Hope you enjoy the video. Yes, I know I look like a lunatic but I got really excited when I saw Josh because I knew I was at the end. Yeah!!! Go team Lundquist!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lookin' good, girl:) Congrats on finishing!

The Bright Family said...

you did look a little toooo excited!! :) Was that Jason in the masked outfit?!?

Allison Cunningham said...

That was my runner's high. hahaha